top of page


Question: Do I have to have a licence?

Yes. You will need a provisional licence category A from DVLA



Question: Is there a guaranteed pass scheme for CBT?

No. The majority of candidates usually complete the course in one day paying only the standard rate. If another session is required this will be discussed on a personal basis.



Question: Do I need to pass a theory test before attending the CBT?

No, this is not a Legal Requirement, but a working knowledge of the Highway Code is essential for the complete novice.



Question: I have a driving licence for a car – do I need a CBT to ride a 50cc Moped?

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you can ride a moped, but only if you complete a CBT course to validate your full moped rights. You only need to do this once instead of repeating it every two years – but keep the CBT certificate safe as it will be your only proof. Remember this only allows you to ride a 50cc moped – nothing larger.

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, we and the Driving Standards Agency (DVSA) recommend that you do.


If you wish to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc your full car licence should include your provisional motorcycle entitlement and you will need to complete a CBT.


Question: I am an EEC citizen residing in the UK. Will my car licence allow me to ride a bike?

No. Although full licences are exchangeable throughout the UK unless you have passed a motorcycle test in your own country, you will need to apply to DVLA Swansea for a provisional category 'A' licence, before you commence training.



Question: How long is a CBT course?

There is no set time to complete the CBT course, however most people get through in one day. Occasionally a customer may need to come back another day to carry on training. This will all depend on how well they get on. The CBT course is completely safety orientated, so if you can’t complete all the stages on the day, then a rest, and a return later, is the best and safest way to progress.


Question: I have never ridden before – is the CBT OK for me?

Yes, however for those clients who wish to ride a manual bike (with clutch and gears) not having ridden before, we recommend a pre-CBT trial lesson.



Question: I don’t have a bike or any gear, can I still attend?

Yes. We have loan bikes and mopeds, plus helmets, gloves and jackets, catering for small to extra-large sizes. Full use of these is included in our standard price.



Question: Can I train without the original copy of my driving Licence?

No. As the CBT is a legal requirement and is regulated by the DVSA, we need to see your original licence (not a copy).
If you still have the old paper licence, you will need to bring your passport (for proof of ID).



Question: Can I fail the CBT?

No. The CBT teaches you the skills you need to be competent and safe on the road. Then you have to show that you have listened and learned and can demonstrate that you can do it. If the required standard is NOT achieved, a further visit will required.



Question: I have not ever read the highway code – will you teach it to me on the day?

No – When you sign your licence you are stating that you have read and understood the highway code. You don’t need to be an expert but you will need to know road signs and what the traffic rules mean.

bottom of page